November 6, 2005

Is IEB Blocked In China?

Filed under: China,Miscellaneous,Politics — Prashant @ 9:15 pm

A friend who just returned from a visit to China tells us

The Indian Economy Blog site wasn’t accessible in China.

Oddly enough the NYT and virtually every Indian paper was available. As was the WSJ and the FT. I tried the IEB site repeatedly along with BBC – which I knew was persona non grata – with no joy.

This brings up two questions

1) Is my friend’s experience w/ IEB in China the norm? Data points anyone…
2) And the more baffling question: if indeed IEB’s not accessible in China, what gives? Are we caught in some sort of blanket block? If so, how come the WSJ/ FT/ NYT/ all Indian newspapers are accessible?

1. I checked the connection from both Shanghai and Beijing to your website and it is indeed blocked. There are no signals of any other large scale IP-blocks, so not very sure what the reason might be.

Comment by Fons Tuinstra — November 7, 2005 @ 1:43 am

2. Yes, Chinese govt acts a bit loony when it comes to web/cyber freedom.

You can test this blogs availabilty in china by

(I tried the online service, not seems to be working)

Also, SkypeOut is blocked in china :-)

There were even cases of Google getting blocked in china. (back in 2003 i guess)

If someone is comparing this with the freedom we have in India and want to think high of ourselves, I wish to kindly bring to attention, India’s ingenious act of blocking Yahoo GRoups !! (thank God, its lifted, otherwise there is no way i could stay in touch with my school n class buddies)

Comment by Navin — November 7, 2005 @ 2:19 am

3. Navin, by the logic, chinese should not feel high of themselves on economic issues, becausse rural china for the most part has been neglected. So, all the comparisons of how chinese economy is in much better shape than india is invalid.

Comment by sv — November 7, 2005 @ 12:47 pm

4. I was in China recently and could access the Indian Economy blog but then it was through my company’s internal network which is based in the US

Comment by Prasanth — November 7, 2005 @ 4:54 pm

5. SV,

Do you have any data on the economic divide in China, like income distribution etc ?

I am sure its not as bad as India.

India is concentrating on services where as china on manufacturing. So I would expect Indian rural to be even more badly neglected than chinese
    and compariosions will only put us in bad light.

Comment by Navin — November 7, 2005 @ 7:22 pm

6. Navin, you argued that india should not feel high because of some instances where freedom of speech was curbed. Likewise, I am arguing that china should not feel high because the rural poor are not doing well in china.

Comment by sv — November 7, 2005 @ 9:47 pm

7. It is true that Chinese government censors web-sites that contain words and phrases not favorable to them.
    I read some news items regarding this. The words include freedom, democrarcy, Falun Gong, human rights etc.

I remember reading many articles regarding this on the Epoch Times, here is one I found:

I think there are several other related news items, if you want to check them out at http://www.theepochtimes.com

Comment by Srinivas — November 8, 2005 @ 12:38 pm

8. Navin, CHina’s Gini coefficient is 44.7, one of the highest in the world, comparable to countries like Brazil, Uganda and Argentina.

India’s Gini coefficient is 33, and to the dismay of leftists across the nation, virtually unchanged from 10 years ago despite the economic expansion. In fact, the number is lower than the US and comparable to some EUropean countries

Comment by AK — November 8, 2005 @ 2:06 pm

9. You should probably take it as a compliment.

Comment by Kunal — November 8, 2005 @ 6:11 pm

10. Kunal

We would love to take it as a compliment. However, however, we harbor no delusions that we’re on the Chinese regime’s radar….[grin]

My suspicion is that there’s some sort of blanket ban and we’re caught in that . Of course, that doesn’t explain why the WSJ/ NYT/ Indian newspapers are accessible…

BTW, a debate on inequality in India vis-a-vis China is welcome, but not sure if it’s relevant to this post

Comment by Prashant — November 9, 2005 @ 12:36 am

11. Well, if you browse a few sites on the internet like , youll find many such incidents of blogs and sites being banned(and journalists being arrested) if they speak against the govt; their policies or if they are pro-democracy. So dont be surprised if the Chinese govt. blocks sites which it may deem going against its thinking. I am not surprised by the news!!

Comment by Rahul M — November 12, 2005 @ 7:24 pm

12. Some HTML error, the site i mentioned was http://www.rsf.org

Comment by Rahul M — November 12, 2005 @ 8:15 pm

13. ..if the Chinese govt. blocks sites which it may deem going against its thinking. I am not surprised by the news!! as per Rahul M

The Chinese govt blocking sites that it deems “against its thinking” is nothing new — the question is what has IEB done to get blocked by the Chinese government? Not that I’m losing any sleep over the Chinese government blocking our site… if they don’t like us, so be it ;-)

Comment by Prashant Kothari — November 12, 2005 @ 11:48 pm

14. Well since you are not losing any sleep over this, even i should not care :-)

Just kidding

It may not like some economic policies,sensibilities or the ideas suggested in this blog. It may not like the idea of people discussing the about the economy and giving ideas, opinions and especially failures of the governnment in economic policies in the world(China included).

These are just my thoughts and some reasons why it is so; they are some of the similar reasons why hundreds of Chinese Blogs are blocked.

A bit offtopic but in China the site the sites are shown as not found. In Saudi Arabia, the govt. clearly shows that the site is banned to be visited

Comment by Rahul M — November 13, 2005 @ 9:34 am

15. Does anyone know where I can get time series data for India for variables like GDP, HDI, Poverty, literacy rates, Gini Coefficient? thanks

Comment by Avni — November 14, 2007 @ 11:13 am