January 25, 2006

JOB OPENING: Base of the Pyramid Consortium

Filed under: Uncategorized — Reuben Abraham @ 12:37 pm

Many of you know of the Base of the Pyramid (BOP) concept, thanks to its popularization in books by Stuart Hart and C.K.Prahalad. The Base of the Pyramid Learning Lab, led by Stuart Hart at Cornell University’s Business School, is now working with DuPont‘s food division, Solae, to set up a BOP protocol project, with the initial pilot project based in Hyderabad. The project is looking to hire four dedicated interns to work on the pilot project, reporting to Solae’s director of global accounts. This is a PAID position, with the significant upside that you will get to work on a one-of-a-kind BOP project with a global team. The job will include a significant training component with the Cornell/Solae team. Here is a brief description of the position:

The Solae Company has initiated a project to develop sustainable businesses in India that serve the needs of poor individuals and communities that comprise the “base of the economic pyramid” (BoP). For the first phase of this project, Solae seeks four interns to become members of a Solae BoP Protocol Team. The Team will include members from and be guided by a US-based group of leading BoP business professionals and academics affiliated with Cornell University’s Johnson School of Management who have directed the development of a BoP Protocol™. The BoP Protocol™ is a roadmap for engaging poor communities in co-developing business ideas that meet local needs and generate value for the company.

In terms of background, we are looking for someone with a serious interest in catalyzing economic development in India through sustainable private enterprise. Ideally, you will will have expertise in one of the following areas: business and social entrepreneurship; social work; development nutrition. Knowledge of Telugu is a plus, though not a requirement.

If you are interested or need more information regarding this position, please send me your resume asap at nebuer AT gmail dot com. Feel free to forward this to anyone you think might be interested.

1. Is this internship open to undergraduate students by any chance? I’m a freshman working on an Economics major at the University of Pennsylvania and I can speak passable Telegu (Hyderabad dialect).

Comment by airrahul — January 26, 2006 @ 12:12 pm

2. Send me your resume, Rahul. Let me have a look.

Comment by Reuben Abraham — January 27, 2006 @ 2:16 am

3. Hi,

I worked at the World Bank for 3 years and doing my MBA at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. My interest is social entrepreneurship and am very interested in economic development issues in India. I don’t speak Telugu though. Will that be a major hindrance?

-Ekta

Comment by Ekta — January 29, 2006 @ 8:03 pm

4. i am student doing Msc economics in bits pilani i have excellent academic record and also my native is from hyderabad. i am very much interested in social entrepreneurship i hav done few projects in these fields which hav won adorns from many people. my doubt is that can i make in to the internship since my experience in these field is very less

Comment by rakesh — January 30, 2006 @ 12:06 am

5. Hi, I would like to know how long is the project going to be and what will be the intern’s responsiblity?

Comment by Sudeep. — January 30, 2006 @ 10:23 am

6. Hi
    I have 5+yrs work experience in IT field.Planning to give CAT this year. I have been quite interested in this area of work, social entreprenuership. I have been involved in such kind of work with some of such organisations in bangalore working for the disabled & poor children. Just wanted to know about the possiblities/chances of me getting this internship.

Comment by sudhakar — January 30, 2006 @ 12:43 pm

7. can we join the internship in may … what is the period during which we have to work as intern

Comment by Mahesh — January 31, 2006 @ 12:08 am

8. Hi all,
    Please direct your queries via e-mail to nebuer AT gmail DOT com. I cannot address every single issue you raise on here in comments. Thanks.

Comment by Reuben Abraham — February 2, 2006 @ 8:47 am

9. I have 3.5 years of experience in Entrepreneurial business managements in various business models. I have worked closely in small business setups guiding, managing and developing their day to day issues.
    I have experience in direct interaction with small business models in upcountry, urban and metro markets. I have worked with Coca Cola as a Sr. Sales Executive handling Bijapur district ( North Karnataka ). I have directly interacted with entrepreneurs in villages and initiated business development.I have experience of construction business in delhi and channel partner business models in Delhi,Up and Bihar. I have good understanding of realities and diversities of Indian markets. I am interested in socio-economic welfare through entrpreneurial initiatives at grass root level. I am an Electronics and Communications Engineer from bangalore. I am passionate about reading books on insights in different prespectives , sports : Soccer, Football, snooker, TT, Crciket and meeting people from all walks of life.
    I would request you to please let me know about the following :
    1: Nature of my work.
    2: Duration and compensation.
    3: Should i sebd my detailed CV.

regards
    Anurag

Comment by Anurag Sharma — February 10, 2006 @ 10:25 pm

10. are you still looking for people to work in the project.sent my resume but havent gotten a reply.

Comment by sirisha jasti — February 15, 2006 @ 1:50 pm

11. is this blog still active…???

Comment by Mahesh — March 12, 2006 @ 9:41 pm

12. I am sorry, everyone, that I haven’t been able to personally respond to every resume we got. We were swamped by over a 100 resumes and it becomes very difficult to respond to each. Thanks, nonetheless for the interest. The Solae team have contacted those candidates they wanted to interview.

Comment by Reuben Abraham — March 23, 2006 @ 9:57 pm

13. Looks like I was a bit late on this one :-)

All the Best.